Journals- Spring 2017
Younique- Tell me about yourself. What are your hobbies, interests, likes. Tell me about your family. What are two aspects of English you’d like to improve upon?
Most Dangerous game- Do you agree with Whitney or Rainsford in the discussion on if animals feel? Why?
“The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.” Explain. Do you you agree? Why/Why not?
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” Explain.
“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. What’s something in your life you’d like to change your attitude about?
“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. What is something you are successful in/at? This doesn’t have to be in the classroom. (Journal check 1: 1-31. Checking Journals 2-6)
What is your favorite book? What about it resonates in you?
“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none” Shakespeare Who are the few you trust? Do you agree? Why or why not?
“It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves.” To what degree do you think we control our destinies. Is fate real? If so, what is morality.
Quickwrite on page 783- What do you think of this complaint? Have you heard adults say this to kids today? How would a kid respond to this ?
“If music be the food of love, play on.” What genres of music do you like? Favorite songs? What do you enjoy about this type of music?
Using your vocabulary words, write 5 meaningful sentences. Choose one to read aloud to the class.
“Love goes to love like schoolboys from their books, but love from love toward school with heavy looks” Explain what Romeo meant.
“Young men’s love then lies Not truly in their hearts but in their eyes.” Do you agree or disagree? Is this confined to young people? What is the Friar saying about what we want in a significant other?
Do you believe in love at first sight? Do you believe you can recognize an aspect of someone initially that becomes love later? Explain your thoughts.
- "These violent delights have violent ends, And in their triumph die, like fire and powder. Which as they kiss, consume." Explain what The Friar means by those lines spoken at Romeo and Juliet's wedding.
17. We already know Romeo and Juliet are going to die from the prologue. Find three times in Act III where Rome and Juliet express their longing to die instead of be separated.
18. Juliet's Diary. Write in 1st person as Juliet right before she drinks the potion. What does she feel about Romeo, her parents, the Friar, and Tybalt?
19. "Brevity is the soul of wit." Explain what this means. Do you agree with it?
20. Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice." Explain. Why is is this good advice?
21. "My crow is called content, a crown that seldom kings enjoy" Shakespeare Explain this quote. Why can't people in power be content?
22. Read The Seven Acts of Man in the purple lit book on page 444. Write a paraphrase of the poem. (see page 446)
23. What did you think of the end of the movie compared to the play? What did you think of the choice to exclude Paris, Friar, etc from the final scene?
24. "It's better to be alone than in bad company" Explain. How is this applicable to your life?
25. "Words empty as the wind are best left unsaid." -Homer Explain. What is Homer saying about when/why we should speak?
26. "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one else who is youer than you!" What makes you who you are? What are your passions?
27. Write five sentences using five vocabulary 6 words.
28. "Light is the task where many share the toil." Explain this quote. What is this emphasizing?
29. "One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds." Frank Zappa Do you agree or disagree with this quote? Do you think you (or anyone) has the ability to change a person's mind on a topic they are passionate about? Explain your answer.
30. In an ironic twist, the dog actually ate your homework. When you try to explain to your teacher, she says, "Oh come on, you can do better than that." You take this as a challenge. Come up with an elaborate story as to what happened to your homework...
31. Write 5 sentences using your vocabulary words. (unit 7)
32. "There are no facts, only interpretations." Fredrich Nietzsche Do you agree or disagree with this? Explain your thoughts.
33. "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by day" Edgar Allen Poe What do you think Poe meant by this?
34. "For history has shown that the dark does not come swiftly or without warning, but that man denies the marching of time and finds himself blinded by his own fear of the unknown." Explain what this means. What do you think the dark is referencing here?
35. Write 5 sentences using Vocab unit 8 words.
36. "Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination." Do you agree or disagree? What does this mean?
37. "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them." Explain.
38. "Whoever is careless with trust in small matters cannot be trusted in important matters." do you agree or disagree? Why?
39. "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." What is this emphasizing? What are your thoughts on that?
40. "Good things come to those who wait, but only those things left by those who hustle." What does this mean? Do you agree/disagree or does it depend on the situation?
41. "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." Do you agree with this definition? Why or why not? If not, how do you define insanity?
42. Odyssey movie: Compare and contrast the Odyssey movie vs. the epic. Choose one thing to compare and one to contrast. What did you like or dislike about both the movie and epic?
43. "You're too smart to be ruled by your heart." What do you think of this quote? Are people who are "ruled by their hearts" unintelligent? How do you strike a balance between being ruled by your head and your heart?
44. "Many receive advice, only the wise profit from it." Harper Lee- What does this mean?
45. What experiences could lead someone to seek revenge? How could an obsession with vengeance lead to tragedy? Add examples from movies or stories to your thoughts.
46. "The secret of getting ahead is getting started." Mark Twain
What does this emphasize? Do you agree with this? How could you apply this to your life?
47. In real life, does one always receive the same treatment as another? Why or why not? What causes differences between one person's justice and another's injustice?
48. Where do we draw our lines concerning with whom we deal with justly and with whom we do not? Should we change the way our society deals with all citizens?
49. Write 5 sentences using 5 different vocabulary words correctly. (Unit 11)
50. "The very ink with which history was written is merely fluid prejudice." Mark Twain
Explain what this quote means to you. Do you agree with it or not? Is history subjective or factual?
51. Write a journal entry as Miss Caroline recounting her first day of teaching. How would she be thinking and feeling after this first day? Include events from the morning and afternoon.
52. "Sometimes the Bible in the hands of one man is worse than a whiskey bottle in the hand of another. " -Miss Maudie Explain what you think this means. Read page 60 if you need a starting point.
53. "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." What did Atticus mean by this?
54. "Simply because we were licked a hundred years before we started is no reason for us not to try to win. " - Atticus What character trait is this displaying? Do you agree with this? Is it every pointless to try something if you know you're already beaten? Examples?
55. "Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained." What is something you've had/ will have/ desire to persevere at to become successful in it?
56. Chapter 12 brings to light the theme of secrets and hypocrisies. What secret abilities do some characters hide? What might Lee have been trying to say about this?
57. What news does Scout learn about Atticus and the case in chapter 16? Why doesn't she understand and what did the town want to happen?
58. "When someone shows you who they are the first time, believe them." Do you agree or disagree with this? Explain. Can people change or are we destined to make the same mistakes?
59. Write 5 sentences using this week's vocabulary. (13)
60. You can't build a reputation on what you're going to do." How has Atticus built his reputation in the town?
61. Did you expect the verdict to be what it was? Why or why not? part 2: Why do all the black people in the balcony stand as Atticus leaves?
62. "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." Agree or disagree? do you feel there are a lot of stupid people in the world? Who is ignorant or stupid in TKAM?
63. Write 3 examples of any literary terms from this week's test.
64. To Kill a Mockingbird Parallelism "Mr. Ewell found himself as forgotten as Tom Robinson." Why is this so sad for Bob?
65. Who attacked the children and why?
66. " and Atticus, when they finally saw him, why he hadn't done any of those things. Atticus, he was real nice." " Most people are Scout, when you finally see them." Explain what Atticus means by this.
67. "Each generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it." Do you agree or disagree? How is this way of thinking harmful? Examples?
68. "Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearance of solidarity to pure wind" Explain. Do you agree/disagree? Thoughts?
69. "He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past." What does this mean? Do you think anyone controls the future?
70. "Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." Agree/Disagree If you disagree, how do you define freedom? If you agree, how do you apply this to a situation in your life or in society?
71. Compare and contrast the movie of TKAM and the novel. Explain two differences between the novel and movie and two similarities.
72. What is the reasoning Squealer gives for the pigs needing the milk and apples?