Journals- Spring 2017
Younique- Tell me about yourself. What are your hobbies, interests, likes. Tell me about your family. What are two aspects of English you’d like to improve upon?
Most Dangerous game- Do you agree with Whitney or Rainsford in the discussion on if animals feel? Why?
“The roots of education are bitter, but the fruit is sweet.” Explain. Do you you agree? Why/Why not?
“It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.” Explain.
“If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude. What’s something in your life you’d like to change your attitude about?
“Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. What is something you are successful in/at? This doesn’t have to be in the classroom. (Journal check 1: 1-31. Checking Journals 2-6)
What is your favorite book? What about it resonates in you?
“Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none” Shakespeare Who are the few you trust? Do you agree? Why or why not?
“It is not in the stars to hold our destiny, but in ourselves.” To what degree do you think we control our destinies. Is fate real? If so, what is morality.
Quickwrite on page 783- What do you think of this complaint? Have you heard adults say this to kids today? How would a kid respond to this ?
“If music be the food of love, play on.” What genres of music do you like? Favorite songs? What do you enjoy about this type of music?
Using your vocabulary words, write 5 meaningful sentences. Choose one to read aloud to the class.
“Love goes to love like schoolboys from their books, but love from love toward school with heavy looks” Explain what Romeo meant.
“Young men’s love then lies Not truly in their hearts but in their eyes.” Do you agree or disagree? Is this confined to young people? What is the Friar saying about what we want in a significant other?
Do you believe in love at first sight? Do you believe you can recognize an aspect of someone initially that becomes love later? Explain your thoughts.
- "These violent delights have violent ends, And in their triumph die, like fire and powder. Which as they kiss, consume." Explain what The Friar means by those lines spoken at Romeo and Juliet's wedding.
17. We already know Romeo and Juliet are going to die from the prologue. Find three times in Act III where Rome and Juliet express their longing to die instead of be separated.
18. Juliet's Diary. Write in 1st person as Juliet right before she drinks the potion. What does she feel about Romeo, her parents, the Friar, and Tybalt?
19. "Brevity is the soul of wit." Explain what this means. Do you agree with it?
20. Give every man thy ear, but few thy voice." Explain. Why is is this good advice?
21. "My crow is called content, a crown that seldom kings enjoy" Shakespeare Explain this quote. Why can't people in power be content?
22. Read The Seven Acts of Man in the purple lit book on page 444. Write a paraphrase of the poem. (see page 446)
23. What did you think of the end of the movie compared to the play? What did you think of the choice to exclude Paris, Friar, etc from the final scene?
24. "It's better to be alone than in bad company" Explain. How is this applicable to your life?
25. "Words empty as the wind are best left unsaid." -Homer Explain. What is Homer saying about when/why we should speak?
26. "Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one else who is youer than you!" What makes you who you are? What are your passions?
27. Write five sentences using five vocabulary 6 words.
28. "Light is the task where many share the toil." Explain this quote. What is this emphasizing?
29. "One of my favorite philosophical tenets is that people will agree with you only if they already agree with you. You do not change people's minds." Frank Zappa Do you agree or disagree with this quote? Do you think you (or anyone) has the ability to change a person's mind on a topic they are passionate about? Explain your answer.
30. In an ironic twist, the dog actually ate your homework. When you try to explain to your teacher, she says, "Oh come on, you can do better than that." You take this as a challenge. Come up with an elaborate story as to what happened to your homework...
31. Write 5 sentences using your vocabulary words. (unit 7)
32. "There are no facts, only interpretations." Fredrich Nietzsche Do you agree or disagree with this? Explain your thoughts.
33. "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by day" Edgar Allen Poe What do you think Poe meant by this?
34. "For history has shown that the dark does not come swiftly or without warning, but that man denies the marching of time and finds himself blinded by his own fear of the unknown." Explain what this means. What do you think the dark is referencing here?
35. Write 5 sentences using Vocab unit 8 words.
36. "Happiness is a way of travel, not a destination." Do you agree or disagree? What does this mean?
37. "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking that we used when we created them." Explain.
38. "Whoever is careless with trust in small matters cannot be trusted in important matters." do you agree or disagree? Why?