Spanish II Text Book
SPANISH CLASS RULES AND PROCEDURES
Teacher: Eduardo E. Meza
In order to achieve and provide a safe learning atmosphere the student must:
- Be on time with the following materials everyday:
a. A two-inch binder with enough paper for class work and four dividers for in class work,
reference material, tests / quizzes and workbook.
b. A pencil and a pen
c A pocket size bilingual English-Spanish Dictionary
d. The Spanish Workbook (supplied by School) for Class and Homework assignments
Repetitive failure (twice or more times) to have all the above material will be considered an act of insubordination, which will result in a discipline referral to Primetime, Contact Parents, and other related consequences.
- Be on task, and ready to work when the tardy bell rings, materials must be ready, pencils sharpened, textbook on desk, binders open and homework out.
- Be responsible for writing down in class and homework assignments. No late homework assignments will be accepted unless there is a valid excuse approved in written by the administration. Students who are absent must make up their work within 5 school days.
- Participate in class actively, positively and respectfully:
Class participation and cooperation will have a significant weight on the overall grade for this class. Students will participate individually, with a partner and /or group activities on a daily basis to practice their speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills in the target language. Respect and tolerance for all persons in the class is to be maintained at all times.
- Evaluation: There will be one assigned test or quiz each week as well as homework assignments Monday through Thursday. The final grade for this class will be based on the following:
25% -Tests every week, and/or Projects:
Projects: a) A one-page Short Story (about oneself) which is due on October 3, 2016; b) A five-minute power point presentation (teaching a topic in Spanish) which is due on November 29, 2016; And c) A three-minute video (Speaking and teaching a lesson in Spanish, including family members on the video is encouraged.) which is due on December 12, 2016.
25% -I.W.P.C. (In class work binder, respectful class participation and cooperation)*
25% - Homework
*An IWPC grade is earned based on the rubrics established on this Spanish program and communicated in writing. Moreover, the teacher’s professional criteria play another significant role on this decision.
The first nine weeks correspond to 37.5% of the final grade of this course, the second nine weeks correspond to another 37.5%. Therefore, there is a total of 75%. In addition to this 75%, there is a final exam that represents 25% of the final grade. Thus, the 18-nine weeks represent 75% and the exam adds up 25% in order to complete 100% of this course. Moreover, absences affect the credit(s) to be earned in this course. This decision is made according to the school and board policy rules and procedures.
- Make-up work: Students are allowed to make up their work only if a valid written excuse has been presented to the administration. If make-up work is not completed within 5 school days, after returning to class, the student receives a Failing Grade
- DISCIPLINE AND OVERALL BEHAVIOR : In agreement with the school and Wayne County Public Schools Disciplinary Comprehensive Plan.
NO CLASSROOM BEHAVIOR WILL BE ALLOWED THAT:
- Keep the teacher from teaching
- Keep students from learning
- It is not safe, respectful and in the interest of the class and school settings
THE FOLLOWING, AMONG OTHERS, ACTS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED AT ALL AT ANY TIME
- Excessive talking
- Chewing gum, eating, drinking any type of liquid
- Disrespectful / Discourteous behavior
- Sleeping in class
- Cheating on tests
- Any kind of behavior that disrupts the learning atmosphere
ANY OF THE ABOVE WILL RESULT, AMONG OTHERS, IN A DISCIPLINE REFERRAL TO PRIMETIME, CONTACT OF PARENTS, LOSING THE IN CLASS WORK GRADE FOR THE DAY AND POSSIBLE IN OR OUT OF SCHOOL SUSPENSION
EMERGENCY HALL/BATHROOM PASSES:
Students must remain in the classroom at all times; under no circumstances will permission be granted to go out of the classroom, unless it is requested by the administration. Only bathroom passes will be granted at Teacher’s discretion for a real emergency. In addition to this, make sure to inform the school administration and the class teacher of any medical condition temporary or permanent, approved by the Wayne County Health Department or Certified Medical Doctor.
LEARNING SUPPORT SERVICES
- Every student is encouraged to stay after school for tutoring. This schedule is always announced on the school website and on my class website as well. This learning support service aims specific needs for a great variety of student population, and it is based on their language competencies.
- Every student is encouraged to use my class website in order to take all possible quizzes/ chapter games he or she feels confident in doing it, taken from the text book assigned by the Director of Literacy, English Language Arts, Second Languages, ESL, and Visual Arts from Central Office.
- Reinforcement Packets
Every student is responsible for keeping their Passage Translation, Sentence, and Workbook Packets updated in order to clarify any doubts about the content already covered or a future topic that is given at the beginning of the course.
- Spanish Club
Every student is encouraged to join the Spanish club with the
perspective to improve fluency and deep understanding of the target
culture. All meetings are held after school activities, so that they can
focus more deeply in learning this Second Language.
Eduardo E. Meza.
M. Ed. in Educational Leadership –Virginia Commonwealth University-
B.A. in Education with concentration in Philology and Languages
–Universidad Libre de Colombia-
Professional in Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering
– COORPOTEC and Universidad Piloto de Colombia-
Cultural Arts Department Chair
E-mail address: EduardoMeza@wcps.org
Phone number: (919)242-3400 Ext 2084
Student’s name (print) ____________________________________________
I have read and understand the course policies for this Spanish Class.
Parent’s name (print)_____________________________________________
Parent’s phone number:___________________________________________
Student’s signature Parent’s signature